Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Did I bite off more than I can chew?

So I sent for information on the semantics of doing a Bone Marrow Drive. I really want to do this. Something I have thought about for a long time now. Ever since I started getting better and was declared cancer free. I am just nervous. I have never taken on something of this magnitude alone. I usually have my partner in organizing, Jenny, to help me. She has some seriously amazing contacts in Mansfield! That girl can also get anyone to donate something! LOL She is an amazing fundraising partner! I am awesome at organization, knowing what I need to get, keeping it all together but I am not always great at getting it. We were the perfect team!

Anyway, I will quit whining about not having my partner and get to it!

These groups of people are in the MOST need of donors....


  • Black or African American
  • American Indian or Alaska Native
  • Asian, including South Asian
  • Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander
  • Hispanic or Latino
  • Multiple race
***bethematch.org



Did you know:
Young people age 18-24 are the bone marrow donors needed most.

Only 30% of patients needing a marrow transplant can find a match within their family. The rest rely on complete strangers

Currently, the likelihood of finding a matching donor is 66 to 93 percent, depending on race or ethnicity. Minority donors are most needed.

Donating marrow isn’t as scary as it sounds — and there are 2 ways to give, one that’s much like giving blood but takes a bit longer.

***give a spit about cancer


So that is it. I now just wait to hear back from them and see what they say. I have tons of thoughts and ideas running through my head! Need to jot them down and wait for an answer!

No comments:

Post a Comment