Friday, March 25, 2011

My life on 03/25/2011

Today started as any normal day except the fact that it was  freezing outside! We have gotten really spoiled by the warm weather lately. I got up and saw my guys and got them off to work and school. I got myself moving and off to my Oncologist I went.  I was nervous this morning but not anything crazy. Nothing like last month, thank God!  I got there a few minutes late, which I hate, for some reason I can't seem to get this Greenville traffic thing. I am either way early or late! Some days I can make it in a half hour some days it's an hour. Makes it very hard to plan!  Anyway, I had barely sat down and got my book out when they called me to flush my port and draw my labs. Today the normal girl wasn't here and that makes me nervous. Unless you have a port you probably won't get this but those who do will understand! I was especially nervous because this girl tells me she is a float and does mostly PIC lines and then I had to tell her she was positioning my arm wrong. Talk about a blood pressure spike! LOL  Thank God again that I am a generally nice person and can give suggestions while smiling and laughing. I mean it too. I don't get irritated until you have to poke me more than once in my port. I guess as a side note I should explain that I have my port in my arm and am the only one in that office that has this. They do all theirs in the chest. (Hickman port) so I am not the norm here. Like I ever am! LOL So anywho, she was actually a good stick once she hurt me prodding my arm to get placement but she got it on the first try so I won't complain. She got my tubes drawn and flushed my port. What this means is she ran 3 syringes of saline through it then she injected some Heparin into it. This keeps it from clotting up. Not good in a port! So she tells me "now that I am done I will tell you that I had to do an arm port in another office the other day and it took me 3 tries. I am so glad I got you on the first stick." Holy crap, if she would have told me that before she pokes me it wouldn't have been good! Now back out to wait on results! Today I was seeing the nurse practitioner which I have never done for a bi-monthly visit. I was only doing it today because Dr. Fanning out of the office and I wanted to get this over with! I love the nurses there and got to chat with them a bit today, then Susan came in. She asked how I was doing and I gave my standard response  "great, even better once I know those results" She laughed and said "they are great!" WOOOHOOO! Just what I want to hear! We then went over them numbers by number. My platelets are still low at 139,00 but they are not worried I make good improvement everytime I get labs. They are just taking some time to come up. My other counts are normal. One was showing a little high and I asked why. She said " you have allergies don't you?" Sure do, that's why that number is a bit high.  All in all everything is great! I scheduled my appt in 2 months, which I am sure they will call and change. Seems to be the norm lately. I then got the heck out of dodge! I had a few errands to do so I took care of those and wasn't sure what to do with myself! Normally I am there much longer than today so I cancelled helping at school and I had had earlier plans that had gotten changes...hmm what to do!? On a whim I called a friend to see what she was doing and we met up! Who wants to do laundry when you can hang out with your friend!! So she met me over at Carolina Girl apparel where I got my free t shirt and picked up a few others on clearance items...awesome!  We then headed over to Applebees for lunch. I am not normally an Applebees kind of girl but I am in love with their  Santa Fe salad and french onion soup and we celebrated with a chocolate brownie with ice cream...so not on the good list but was amazing!! I had several other things to do but I was outta time. I headed over to get MJ at school and we headed home. I was hanging out with him but couldn't hold my eyes open and ended up taking an amazing nap! Now I have some laundry going and am waiting on my amazing hubby! I am so wishing I was not cooking tonight but we have ordered in or ate out a lot this past week so I am cooking.  My amazing son ran the sweeper for me, my arm is pretty sore. It's just from getting accessed today. It's a tad swollen and bruised. My arm is just not used to it anymore. That is a good thing though so I will take it! So that is the long version of today and I am thrilled! I had an amazing day!

No comments:

Post a Comment